This is a 6 ingredient one-pot vegan cream of broccoli soup recipe. It’s very warm and nourishing and feels perfect on a cold day. This soup takes 5 minutes to get everything together in one pot, 20 minutes to boil, no time to blend everything up, and that’s it! Vegan cream of broccoli soup is ready to be served.
If you’d like the soup to be silky smooth, then strain it out before adding the cream. I like my soup a bit on the thicker and chunkier side because it just feels more rustic and nourishing.
The recipe is extremely versatile – you can upgrade it and make it fancier or change it into a completely different soup. The basic idea is this. Add oil, onion, and garlic to a pot. After that, add the main ingredient you want – in this case, broccoli – along with vegetable stock and seasoning. Then blend everything up after cooking and add vegan cream. You can also use this framework to make vegan cream of mushroom soup or cream of sweetcorn soup or anything else you want.
Keep it simple or level up your soup by adding coconut oil, coconut cream, and garnishing with toasted coconut flakes. On the other hand, you can add ginger and garnish with chilli flakes, sesame seeds, and sesame oil for an asian twist. I highly recommend taking the framework of this soup and making it your own.
This simple vegan cream of broccoli soup is as I like it best. It goes perfectly with some toasted crusty bread or warm garlic bread fresh out of the oven. You can always change it up to be fancier, but sometimes things are best when kept simple. If you’d like more simple recipes you should check out these one-pot recipes from my website.
Cream of Broccoli SoupCourse: StarterCuisine: MiscellaneousDifficulty: 2
1 Tbsp oil
2 Cloves of garlic
500ml Veg stock
100ml Soy cream
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add the oil to a pan on high heat along with the chopped onion and garlic.
- Once the onions have softened, add the broccoli.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir fry for a minute and add the vegetable stock. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 20minutes.
- Once the broccoli is softened, blend up the soup.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. If the soup is too thick, add more vegetable stock to adjust the consistency. If the soup is too thin, boil it for longer until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Take the soup off the heat and mix in the soy cream.
- Garnish with more cream and serve with crusty bread.
- If you’d like a coconut flavour to your soup, I would recommend using coconut oil and coconut cream instead of sunflower oil and soy cream.
- This is a basic soup recipe – feel free to change it up however you’d like! Add chilli flakes or ginger or perhaps garnish with toasted almonds before serving.
- Make sure you keep the broccoli stalks! You can also make this recipe with leftover broccoli stalk from other meals.
Header photo by Louis Hansel @shotsoflouis on Unsplash